Tuesday, July 6, 2010

New Camera

In May of 2008, I had just finished college, and my sister and her family came to town for my graduation. We spent a couple days together and enjoyed doing some hiking in the mountains, and doing some fun things around town. She had just purchased a Nikon D40 and she took pictures with it during her visit. I had seen digital SLR cameras before, but I never had the chance to see the results they could produce, until my sister showed me hers. She gave me a chance to play with it while we were on top of the Sandias, and I fell in love with the control it gave me over the exposure. I knew that with a digital SLR, I could take pictures of what ever I wanted and in any condition. I immediately wanted one, and got my brother on board to buy one :).

(here is one of the original photos from my sisters camera)


From the very first day, my brother bought the D40 it was in my hands and I took pictures of everything. My first subject I took pictures of was a Tesla Coil my brother and I built slightly before he bought the camera. It took a lot of playing with the shutter speed, but I finally snagged a picture I was proud of.



I played with the new camera all summer in preparation for our trip to Pennsylvania at the end of the summer. I took it everywhere with me from taking pictures of fireworks to the radio controlled car track. When I took my first pictures of radio controlled cars, I was amazed at how with a shutter speed of 1/4000th of a sec, I could freeze the action of the cars.




The new camera allowed me to photograph things that I had never dreamed of, and opened the doors to an endless amount of creativity. I had found a hobby with endless possibilities and would last me for much longer than any of my previous hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment